The Comptroller's Office is dedicated to making the process of filing and paying taxes, simple, safe and efficient. You may have questions before, during or after you file your return. We're here to help. This section supplies the latest information for you the individual taxpayer.
Filing your annual income tax return doesn't have to be complicated or confusing.This section will help you more easily navigate through the process of filing your returns, making payments and receiving refunds. As always if you need assistance you can contact our helpful staff or visit one of our local offices. As you navigate through the process use the links at the bottom of each page. The following will get you started in the right direction:
- Learn about it! Visit the Tax Information section to find out what's new for the current tax year, to get answers to frequently asked questions, get tax rates, tax tips and for all the details of the tax legislation.
- File it! Visit the Filing Information section for all of the steps, instructions and tools to complete the task. There you will find everything you need to know about that 1099G you got in the mail, filing requirements, residency, filing status, exemptions, credits, deductions, checkoffs, filing deadlines, extensions, amendments, tax forms, electronic filing, and more. We can even prepare your return for free as long as your federal income tax return is already prepared.
- Pay it! No one likes to pay, but if you have to, visit the Payment Information section to find out how to do it as quickly and easily as possible...and what to do if you don't pay on time.
- Get that refund! You've been waiting all year, and you want it now. Learn how in the Refund Information section.
- Your Employer has been withholding your taxes all year! Hopefully when you file your return, you'll get some of that money back. If not, or if your huge return left too little in your pocket each month, visit the Withholding Information section for tools and resources to help you calculate the appropriate withholding amount so that next year you get a check instead of paying with one!
- Get help if you need it! Our Individual Online Services make completing the tax chore easy, but if you need help contact us or visit one of our local branch offices.
MVA Tax Certifications
Effective January 1, 2014, the MVA will implement a new process for immigrants, applying for a drivers license or ID card that will require them to obtain a certification of tax filings for the preceding two years from the Comptrollerís Office. See Obtaining MVA Tax Certifications for more information.