Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Tax Exempt Sales to Nonprofit Organizations

The following sales made by nonprofit organizations are exempt from the Maryland sales and use tax:

  • Sales by churches or religious organizations for their general purposes.
  • Sales of food by schools other than post-secondary institutions.
  • Sales of food by a nonprofit organization if there are no facilities for food consumption on the premises and the food is not sold within an enclosure for which a charge is made for admission.
  • Sales of food served by a volunteer fire, ambulance or rescue company or an auxiliary if the proceeds are used to support the organization.
  • Sales of magazine subscriptions in a fundraising activity by an elementary or secondary school in the state if the net proceeds are used solely for the educational benefit of the school or its students.
  • Sales made in hospital thrift shops operated entirely by volunteers selling only donated articles for the benefit of the hospital.
  • Sales made by an auctioneer for a bonafide church, religious organization or other non-profit organization exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code if the proceeds are used for exempt purposes. Unless the organization is a church or religious organization, only the portion of the price that qualifies for a deduction as a charitable organization under IRS quidelines is exempt from the sales and use tax.

Only churches, religious organizations and government agencies may use an exemption certificate to purchase items for resale without paying sales and use tax. All other organizations must issue a resale certificate, with their Maryland sales and use tax license number, to purchase items tax-free for resale.

Any organization making ordinarily taxable sales of tangible personal property, including meals, must obtain a sales and use tax license and collect and remit the tax, even though the organization has an exemption for items it purchases. The organization must collect tax on sales to anyone, including members, students and beneficiaries, even if the item has been donated or sold at or below cost.

Links for Exemption Certificates
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Filing Information
Tax Exemptions
Exemption Certificates
  Accepting Exemption Certificates
  Verify Exemption Certificates
  Applying for Exemption Certificates
  Requesting Duplicate Exemption Certificates
  Renewing Exemption Certificates
  Veterans Organizations
  Sales to Nonprofit Organizations
  Sales to Contractors
  Sales to Government Employees
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage